BMWs are known for their high-performance engines, and one key component of keeping these stellar engines running smoothly is the oil filter. The oil filter helps to remove impurities from the engine oil, and it also helps to regulate the oil flow.
BMWs have a special type of oil filter called a micro-filter, which is designed to trap very small particles. This helps to keep the engine clean and prevent damage over time. In order to change the BMW oil filter, the engine oil must be drained and the new filter must be inserted. It is important to follow the BMW service schedule in order to keep the engine in top condition and running as designed. Let's look at some signs of oil filter problems and discuss why oil filters fail.
Indications That Your Oil Filter Needs Replacing
BMWs are known for their high-performance engines, and oil plays a vital role in keeping these engines running smoothly. Over time, however, the oil filter can become clogged with dirt and debris, reducing its efficacy. As a result, it's important to replace the filter on a regular basis. There are four main indications that it's time to replace the filter in a BMW:
- The engine is using more oil than usual: If the BMW oil filter is not replaced on a regular basis, it can cause the engine to use more oil. This occurs because the engine will have to work harder to pump the oil through the clogged filter, and some of the oil will be lost in the process. As a result, it is important to change your BMW's oil filter according to the recommended schedule.
- The engine is running louder than normal: BMW engines are designed to run at a specific oil pressure. When the oil filter becomes clogged, it causes the oil pressure to drop. As a result, the engine has to work harder to maintain the correct oil pressure, and this increased effort can cause the engine to run louder. In addition, clogged oil filters can cause engine damage by restricting oil flow to vital components.
- The vehicle is emitting more exhaust than normal: The oil filter helps to remove impurities from the oil, but if it gets clogged, it can't do its job properly. As a result, dirty oil circulates through the engine, leading to increased wear and tear. In addition, a clogged oil filter can cause the engine to run hotter than normal, which can cause the car to emit more exhaust.
- The check engine light is illuminated on the dashboard: If you see this light turn on in combination with any of the above signs of an oil filter problem, it's time to visit Protech Automotive Services for assistance.
If you notice any of these indications, it's important to have the oil filter checked and replaced as soon as possible. Doing so will help to keep your BMW's engine running at peak performance.
Why do oil filters stop working?
Over time, oil filters can become clogged with dirt and debris, which can prevent oil from flowing freely through the engine. This can cause a number of problems, including decreased fuel economy and reduced engine power. In extreme cases, it can even lead to engine failure.
To avoid these issues, BMW recommends changing the oil filter every 15,000 miles or so. However, even if you change your BMW's oil filter according to the recommended schedule, it may still fail prematurely. There are a number of reasons why this might happen, including manufacturing defects and poor-quality replacement filters. If you suspect that your BMW's oil filter has failed, bring it to our qualified mechanics for inspection and repairs.
Protech Automotive Services
You can trust Protech Automotive Services
with all of your car repair needs and services. We are locally owned and operated, and our expert technicians
are friendly and enjoy talking about automobiles. From oil filters to engine repairs: if it has something related in the world of motorsports, we've seen it first hand.
Unlike other garages who only work on one brand of car without ever seeing anything else come through their doors, at Protech Automotive Services, we have extensive knowledge and broad expertise to service your car, light truck, or SUV. Visit us from nearby Cranston, Smithfield, East Greenwich, North Providence, Warwick, and Johnston, RI. Call today to make a convenient appointment.
* BMW M3 Car image credit goes to:Brandon Woyshnis.