Imagine this: you're all set to head out for work in the morning, but your car won't start. Frustrating, isn't it? One of the most common culprits behind a car's refusal to start is a dead battery. Car battery failure can happen to anyone, and it always seems to occur at the most inconvenient times. In this blog post, we'll explore the most common causes of car battery failure, so you can be better prepared and avoid getting stranded.
- Age: Car batteries have a limited lifespan, typically lasting between three to five years. Over time, the chemical reactions within the battery degrade, resulting in reduced performance and eventual failure. If your battery is older than five years, it's wise to have it inspected and replaced if necessary.
- Extreme temperatures: Both hot and cold weather can take a toll on your car battery. In cold climates, the low temperatures increase the internal resistance of the battery, making it harder to start your vehicle. On the other hand, excessive heat can cause the battery fluid to evaporate, damaging the internal components.
- Poor battery maintenance: Neglecting your car battery can lead to premature failure. Failing to keep the battery terminals clean and free of corrosion can create electrical resistance, limiting the battery's ability to charge properly. Regularly inspecting and cleaning the terminals can help prolong the life of your battery.
- Parasitic drains: Some car accessories, such as GPS devices or phone chargers, can draw power from the battery even when the vehicle is turned off. Over time, these small drains can significantly weaken the battery. Be mindful of what accessories are plugged in when the car is not running.
- Alternator issues: The alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine is running. If the alternator malfunctions or fails, it can't adequately recharge the battery, leading to a gradual depletion of power.
At Protech Automotive Services, we understand the frustration of dealing with a dead car battery. That's why we offer comprehensive battery services, including battery inspections, replacements, and maintenance. Our skilled technicians are here to ensure your battery is in optimal condition, so you can hit the road with confidence.
Don't let a dead battery put a damper on your day. Visit our shop today and let us take care of all your battery needs.